What to do next
We understand that there is a lot to organise when it comes to weddings and civil ceremonies and that on occasion this can be a confusing process. Below is a simple step by step guide to arranging your wedding at Worthing Town Hall.
- Decide which date you would like to hold your wedding or civil partnership.
- Check that your date is available by contacting the West Sussex Ceremonies Team. They will confirm availability and the fees you pay directly to the Registry Office
- Your Wedding will be a Civil Ceremony and will take place in the Council Chamber.
- For a Registry Office Partnership Ceremony all fees are paid to the West Sussex Ceremonies Team at the time of booking. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding parking, access requirements or music for your Ceremony.
- Book an appointment with your local Registry Office to ‘give notice’ of your wedding or civil partnership.
- Once you have received confirmation that your notice has been successfully served then please confirm your final venue requirement details with us.
- You each must give formal notice of your intention to marry.
- You must both be free legally to marry.
- Notice of marriage can be given up to a year in advance of your Marriage ceremony but must be given at least 28 clear days before your ceremony. If you are a non EU Citizen this could be extended to 70 days. We would recommend you give your notices of intent to marry roughly 10 months before your ceremony.
- You must both have had your usual place of residence in England or Wales for 7 clear days immediately before giving notice of marriage.
- The notices must be given at the Registry Office in the district in which you have lived for that period of time, regardless of where the marriage is taking place
For further advice please contact the West Sussex Ceremonies Team on 01243 642122 or visit https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships