What to do next

We understand that there is a lot to organise when it comes to weddings and civil ceremonies and that on occasion this can be a confusing process. Below is a simple step by step guide to arranging your wedding at Worthing Town Hall. The Worthing Town Hall Ceremonies terms and conditions are available on our downloads page.

  1. Decide which date you would like to hold your wedding or civil partnership.
  2. Check that your date is available by contacting the Register Office. They will confirm availability and the fees you pay directly to the Register Office
  3. Your Wedding will be a Partnership Ceremony and will take place in the Council Chamber.
  4. For a Register Office Partnership Ceremony all fees are paid to the Ceremonies Team at the time of booking. Please note this does not mean your Ceremony has been booked, we would still need contact information from you. Once we have an email address from you we can send you an email with some questions about your Ceremony room requirements, once we receive a reply we will confirm the Ceremony as booked.
  5. Book an appointment with your local Register Office to ‘give notice’ of your wedding or civil partnership.
  6. Once you have received confirmation that your notice has been successfully served then let our Weddings Team know.
  7. Ensure that you have paid for the Registrar in advance.

Please note:

  • You each must give formal notice of your intention to marry.
  • You must both be free legally to marry.
  • Notice of marriage can be given up to a year in advance of your Marriage ceremony but must be given at least 28 clear days before your ceremony. If you are a non EU Citizen this could be extended to 70 days. We would recommend you give your notices of intent to marry roughly 10 months before your ceremony.
  • You must both have had your usual place of residence in England or Wales for 7 clear days immediately before giving notice of marriage.
  • The notices must be given at the Register Office in the district in which you have lived for that period of time, regardless of where the marriage is taking place

For further advice please contact the West Sussex registration office on 01243 642122 or visit https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships